Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

I May Have a New Favorite Cub

Let's be honest here.  I haven't had a Cub who I have been able to identify with since Kerry Wood retired in May of 2012.  The roster has been completely overhauled a couple of times since then and it's been difficult to get attached to once particular player.

I have my favorites and they are pretty much exclusively minor league players.  But, when a casual baseball fan asks who your favorite player is I don't like to answer with "the Vogelmonster" as my response.  Vogelmonster is the new correct answer now that ROCK SHOULDERS has been stolen from the Cubs by the Texas Rangers through the Rule V Draft back in December. 

(By the way, Chuck Norris, there is a new Texas Ranger in town.  Yes, Chuck, that's right.  ROCK SHOULDERS puts the fist in pacifist.  Good luck, ROCK!)

I guess I should adopt a MAJOR LEAGUE player.  At least then I wouldn't alienate myself as a baseball nerd to those individuals looking to converse with me. No?

I ran across this tweet last weekend:

Dexter Fowler & Dexter Howler
Dexter Fowler?  Why not?  He seems like a nice, fun-loving, dog owner, who has exciting Saturday nights just like myself.  It's been awhile since I can identify, even a little bit, with a Chicago Cub.

Besides, look at that smile!  That's about as far removed from a Zambrano temper tantrum or a Milton Bradley scowl as one can get. 

The Cubs needed some veteran leadership, a center fielder, and guy who can get on base at the top of the lineup.  Check, check, and check. 

I'm hoping he starts off April on a hot streak and doesn't look back.  Maybe he plays well enough for Theo and Jed to sign him to an extension?  I know, I know, there are prospects waiting in the wings and Dexter my be just a fill-in for a season until they're ready, but I think I'm all in.

Man, I can't wait for spring training to get here!  Go get 'em, Dexter!

Post a Comment

0 Comments