Both. Definitely both.
You will have heard me whinge, bitch and moan about how little I like summer. True, but I love spring. Recently garden pornography (catalogues) has been arriving thick and fast in my mail boxes (virtual and real).
And here is where insanity appears. We are just coming out of an (ugly) period of convalescence. There will be more surgery (and consequent convalescence) in a couple of months. I am very, very tired. My body is being recalcitrant. There is a lot of remedial work which needs to be done in the garden after our blistering summer, and my absence from it.
So what do I do? I succumb. Again. Big time.
From one company I purchased a giant allium, 20 of the most scented freesias, 20 mixed hyacinths, 20 red tulips (and I will buy more), 50 mixed anemones and 200 mixed daffodils. More than enough.
And then another catalogue with the most glorious illustrations arrived. And my weak-willed self succumbed again. Do you see why I refer to the catalogues as garden pornography? I know I shouldn't look at them. I feel very guilty when I do - and then I start to drool and it is all over. (clicking on the images will enlarge them)
On this page I bought 100 Premium Rainbow Mixed Daffodils, 100 Double Mixed Daffodils, 100 Split-Corona Daffodils and 100 Cottage Mixed Daffodils. Again, more than enough. But did I stop there. Well no.
Twenty five (five each of the named varieties of the Super Splits. But wait, there's more.
Another twenty-five (five each of these named varieties). And...
twenty-five of the Delightful Doubles.
Because I am obsessed with my garden and insane I also invested (as I did last year) in the Gardener's Pot Luck Collection. These will be a mystery until they arrive, being made up from the bulbs which the company has left over in quantities which are uneconomical for them to replant. And selling them to people with no will power is economical. In fact I suspect it is very profitable indeed.
Oh dear. There are many, many hours of extremely hard work ahead of me. Much weeding and soil preparation. Then individually planting all of those bulbs (and the additional tulips too).
I am consoling myself by saying (true) that when they bloom the blood, sweat and tears involved in planting them will be a distant memory. It may also be a welcome distraction when the skinny one is back in hospital. But just the same...
As I said, insane and obsessional.
You will have heard me whinge, bitch and moan about how little I like summer. True, but I love spring. Recently garden pornography (catalogues) has been arriving thick and fast in my mail boxes (virtual and real).
And here is where insanity appears. We are just coming out of an (ugly) period of convalescence. There will be more surgery (and consequent convalescence) in a couple of months. I am very, very tired. My body is being recalcitrant. There is a lot of remedial work which needs to be done in the garden after our blistering summer, and my absence from it.
So what do I do? I succumb. Again. Big time.
From one company I purchased a giant allium, 20 of the most scented freesias, 20 mixed hyacinths, 20 red tulips (and I will buy more), 50 mixed anemones and 200 mixed daffodils. More than enough.
And then another catalogue with the most glorious illustrations arrived. And my weak-willed self succumbed again. Do you see why I refer to the catalogues as garden pornography? I know I shouldn't look at them. I feel very guilty when I do - and then I start to drool and it is all over. (clicking on the images will enlarge them)
On this page I bought 100 Premium Rainbow Mixed Daffodils, 100 Double Mixed Daffodils, 100 Split-Corona Daffodils and 100 Cottage Mixed Daffodils. Again, more than enough. But did I stop there. Well no.
Twenty five (five each of the named varieties of the Super Splits. But wait, there's more.
Another twenty-five (five each of these named varieties). And...
twenty-five of the Delightful Doubles.
Because I am obsessed with my garden and insane I also invested (as I did last year) in the Gardener's Pot Luck Collection. These will be a mystery until they arrive, being made up from the bulbs which the company has left over in quantities which are uneconomical for them to replant. And selling them to people with no will power is economical. In fact I suspect it is very profitable indeed.
Oh dear. There are many, many hours of extremely hard work ahead of me. Much weeding and soil preparation. Then individually planting all of those bulbs (and the additional tulips too).
I am consoling myself by saying (true) that when they bloom the blood, sweat and tears involved in planting them will be a distant memory. It may also be a welcome distraction when the skinny one is back in hospital. But just the same...
As I said, insane and obsessional.





0 Comments