Count and note the number of plums. Coarsley chop the onions and crush the garlic. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring them to the boil. Cook slowly, uncovered, until the onions are soft.
The sauce can now be rubbed through the sieve. However, it is far better to remove and discard the plum stones( the number were noted) and pur'ee the sauce in batches in a food processor.
Reheat the sauce to blend, and pour into hot, clean bottles, and seal.
The longer this sauce is kept the better. Makes about 4 litres.
As usual I didn't follow it, but used it as a guide only, I couldn't be doing with all that through the sieve nonsense! So at the outset I cut the plums in half, de-stoned and diced them.
I also put some soy sauce, not sure of the quantity I just guessed! And also dolloped in some Watties tomato ketchup, there was a bit of a sweet and sour thing going on here.
Then when I thought it had been cooking long enough I got my Braun whizzy upper thingie and whizzed it all, it turned it into a lovely smooth sauce.
I bottled it into hot sterilised(washed in the dishwasher, no powder) jars and put the lids on! Ta da! We've tried some already, its yummy but ideally we should wait about 3-4 months...if we can that is!
Coming soon...wine update!

0 Comments